SGT focuses on sustainable technologies, urbanization, development, environmental, cultural and societal impacts in developing and transition countries. Lecturers, teachers, facilitators and project partners come from different Aalto departments, other academic institutions and governmental and civil society organizations. Great emphasis is put on teaching methods and pedagogical approaches at each course to enhance communication and interaction between the student, lecturers and project partners.
Our aims are to:
– give a holistic view to the state of the world and development
– emphasize the role of sustainability and technology in development
– introduce methods applicable into developing world context
– give guidance how to behave constructively in multicultural and multidisciplinary working environments
– give practical experiences from international projects
Within Aalto, SGT partners closely with Aalto Global Impact (AGI), Aalto Sustainability Hub (ASH) and World in Transition network (WiTLAB). Courses are developed in line with Water and Environmental Master’s Programme and Creative Sustainability Master’s Programme (CS). SGT Programme was established in 2006 at the former Helsinki University of Technology (TKK), department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. The SGT Programme is supervised by Distinguished Professor Olli Varis (Matti Pursula Professorship, Water Resources Management) from Aalto School of Engineering, Department of Built Environment.