Make the change! It’s once in a life-time experience with an impact! Working with local communities or industries in Africa, Asia and Latin America student teams are contributing to various development challenges. Working together in the field, creating lifelong networks and promoting sustainable development goals locally and globally.
SGT Studio is a co-learning studio course for Master’s and Doctoral students at the Aalto University. During the course students form multidisciplinary teams to carry out projects linked to global development challenges. Assignments are implemented with partners from academia, industries, governmental and civil society organizations and communities in developing and transition countries.
- implementing challenge based project (project design, field work, reporting, prototyping, communication)
- understanding the role of sustainability and technology in development
- integrating diverse skills (technology, science, design, architecture & business
- interdisciplinary and multicultural team work
- human-centered design and design thinking
- field work, expert meetings, workshop & mentoring
- students design a solution based on the needs of the case partner
- short-term outputs can take many forms (manual, technical report, evaluation, game, mobile app, idea…)
- long-term collaborations can lead to project partnerships or product implementation
SGT PROJECTS 2007-2018
Finland, Bangladesh, India, Cambodia, Nicaragua (no field trips)
- Cities Beyond oil competition: Greater Helsinki Vision 2050
- Sunila Oy: New Ways to Reuse/Recycle Pulp Mill Wastes
- Finn Church Aid: Assessment of Farmer Field School in Bangladesh
- Finn Church Aid: Analysis of Rural Development Programme in India 2001-2005
- TKK Water and Development Research Group: Critical Issues for Sustainable Large-Scale Irrigation, with emphasis on the Stung Chinit Project, Kompong Thom, Cambodia
- Ramboll Finnconsult: Rural Telephony and Municipal Connectivity in Nicaragua
Indonesia, Kenya (no field trips)
- UN-HABITAT: Tsunami Reconstrucion Evaluation in Banda Aceh Indonesia
- SHALIN Suomi ry: Designing Participatory Tools for Sustainable Development in Kenya
- SHALIN Suomi ry: Renewable Energy for Sustainable Communities and Universal Ecology – Use in Kenya
Jordan, Romania, Kenya, South Africa, Taiwan (no field trips)
- WSP Group Finland: Transportation Planning in Amman, Jordan
- TKK Water & Development Research Group: Role of Hydropower Sector to Promote Sustainable Development in Romania
- SHALIN Suomi ry: Community Energy Based Solution to Climate Change Mitigation. Designing Technologies for Low Cost Carbon Capture and Storage for Local Communities
- Nokia Siemens Networks: Village Connection
- City of Taipei: Guandu-river master plan
Kenya, Finland (no field trips)
- SHALIN Suomi ry: Solar – Reflecting Energy for Community Development. Investigating the concept of solar concentrators and their application.
- Nokia Siemens Networks: Innovative Solar Power for Remote Communities.
- Aalto University; Water and Development Research Group: Transboundary Waters, need for Finland.
- City of Paimio: Mustionjoki Cultural River Restoration.
- Kisumu municipality: Solid Waste Management: Purging/Plastic.
Finland, Kenya, India, Taiwan (first field trip)
- Aalto Design Factory: Sustainable Campus; Waste Management.
- SHALIN Finland: Building electronics to last, beyond e-waste management
- Kemira: Nanomaterial and Plastic Debris in Aquatic system.
- City of Taipei: Taipei River Urbanism *) first SGT field trip.
- Belaku Trust India: Toying with Trash.
Lebanon, Brazil, Taiwan, Kenya, Finland
- Al-Amal Institute for Disabled, South-Lebanon: Rock Village self-sustaining energy solution *) field trip.
- WWF: The New Generation Plantations project survey, Brazil.
- Taipei City Government: Urban Ecopunture – creating new urban spaces by opening up the covered Leo-Gong Channel. *) field trip.
- Education Finder: Making Learning Fun through Games – developing a learning game for developing countries – case Kenya. *) Tested afterwards in Kenyan schools and developed further.
- Aalto University Water and Development Research Group with Kemira: Phosphorus recycling.
Lebanon, South Africa, Nepal, Tanzania
- Al-Amal Institute for Disabled, Lebanon: Rock Village, self-sufficient water management and water use system. *) field trip.
- United Development, South Africa: Waterless sanitation in South Africa.
- Green Action Nepal (local NGO): Secrets of Nepal. Connections between eco-tourism and waste management in rural Nepal.
- Aalto University Creative Sustainability Master’s Programme with Centre for Community Initiatives CCI, Tanzania: Special projects with urban informal communities on housing, flooding, sanitation and waste management *) joint field trip with SGT (ENG), Cities in Transition (ARTS) & How to change the world (BIZ).
- Blog waste: https://welovewaste.wordpress.com/
Lebanon, South Africa, Mozambique, Tanzania (field trips to all)
- Al-Amal Institute for Disabled. Rock Village, water reuse and biogas plant. Lebanon.
- World Design Capital Cape Town. Talkoot Taxi. South Africa.
- Taksvärkki ry. Waterless sanitation in Mozambique.
- Aalto University Creative Sustainability Master’s Programme with Centre for Community Initiatives CCI, Tanzania: Affordable housing in Chamazi, urban scenarios in Dar es Salaam, Solid waste managent, Tanzania. *) joint field trip with SGT (ENG), Cities in Transition (ARTS) & How to change the world (BIZ), all participated in SGT programme.
Nepal, Tanzania, Mexico, the Philippines (field trips to all)
- MIS (Management Information System) to the Rescue – tackling rural water management problems in Nepal. Collaboration with Aalto Water & Development Research Group (WDRG).
- Nanomaji – Reinventing water purification in Tanzania. Collaboration with Aalto New Global Research Group & Ahlström. *) first joint project with IDBM industry project. Lead to start-up. Awarded.
- Aalto LAB Mexico. Cuxta-ha – Living water: finding solutions to water and sanitation challenges. Water quality testing in El20. El 20 de Noviembre, Calakmul, Campeche, Mexico. Collaboration with local universities (UNAM, Tec de Monterray Mexico City campus) and local community of El20 de Noviembre.
- Bohol in Motion, the Philippines. Post disaster development. *) Joint project in the Philippines with Cities in Transition course.
Mexico, Uganda, Greece (field trips to all)
- Aalto LAB Mexico. Cuxta-ha – Living water: improving understanding of the water systems in El 20. El 20 de Noviembre, Calakmul, Campeche, Mexico. Collaboration with local universities (UNAM, TEC de Monterray Mexico City Campus, Tec de Calakmul & CEDIM) and local community of El20 de Noviembre.
- UniWASH: Concept proposal for emptying school latrines and reusing the sludge as a fertilizer in a financially sustainable way and create proposal for an implementation plan. Collaboration with UNICEF, Aalto University, University of Helsinki, Makerere University Uganda. *) Joint project with IDBM Industry project.
- LIFT Lesvos. Responding to the humanitarian and the environmental crisis on Lesvos, Greece. Blogi: www.liftlesvos.wix.com/blog
Tanzania, Mexico (El20, Uxuxubí, San Pancho), Greece (field trips to all)
- Upward Spiral – Tanzitation Squad. Contributing to improve sanitation in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. In Collaboration with local NGO (CCI), local urban informal communities in Dar es Salaam.
- Aalto LAB Mexico. Three sub-projects in El20: Cuxta-ha – Living water, manual for water quality testing / Artesanía para el Bienestar & Community tourism / Household material footprint in El 20 de Noviembre, Calakmul, Campeche, Mexico. Collaboration with local universities (UNAM, TEC de Monterray Mexico City Campus), local NGO (Design Your Action) and local community of El20 de Noviembre. Blogi: https://el20journey.wordpress.com/
- Aalto LAB Mexico. Philein Project in Uxuxubí – building a model for community-led ecotourism. First Phase. Collaboration with local university (Tecnológico de Cancún) and local community. Uxuxubí, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Blog: https://blogs.aalto.fi/uxuxubi2017/
- Aalto LAB Mexico. Philein Project in San Pancho – supporting local community to address development issues caused by growing tourism. First phase. Collaboration with local NGO (Design Your Action) and local university (TEC de Monterray Guadalajara Campus). San Pancho, Nayarit, Mexico.
- LIFT Athens: creating a positive impact in the lives of asylum seekers and refugees in Greece. Collaboration with Finn Church Aid.
Mexico (El20 & Uxuxubí), Nepal, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda (field trips to all)
- Aalto LAB Mexico Uxuxubí – building a model for community-led ecotourism. First Phase. Collaboration with local university (Tecnológico de Cancún) and local community. Uxuxubí, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
- Aalto LAB Mexico El20: Cuxta-ha – Living water / Artesanía para el Bienestar & Community tourism / Household material footprint in El 20 de Noviembre, Calakmul, Campeche, Mexico. Collaboration with local universities (UNAM, TEC de Monterray Mexico City Campus), local NGO (Design Your Action) and local community of El20 de Noviembre.
- NEPALI. Aalto WiT (World in Transition) LAB: Post-disaster sustainable reconstruction in Nepal. Collaboration with Asian Institute of Technology and Management AITM.
- U R IN: Tanzanitation. Sustainable sanitation in urban informal settlements in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Collaboration with Urbantransitioners and CCI.
- WatBus. Improving water services in poor and underserved rural communities in Kenya. Collaboration with Water Sector Trust Fund (WSTF), Aalto New Global, Aalto ENG Water&Development research group.
- Up-plastic. PBL East Africa – Working towards a better livelihood in peri-urban communities in Kampala, Uganda. Recycling plastic and steel wastes to produce low cost sustainable building units. Collaboration with several Aalto programmes, Aalto Global Impact, Makerere University, University of Nairobi & University of Dar es Salaam.